Friday, March 11, 2016

Half Lost by Sally Green

Title: Half Lost
Author: Sally Green
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Publication date: March 29, 2016
Pages: 352
Source/format: ARC from the publisher

Rating: ☆☆☆

Synopsis (from goodreads.com):

A stunning, magical world. An international sensation.

Nathan Byrn is running again. The Alliance of Free Witches has been all but destroyed. Scattered and demoralized, constantly pursued by the Council’s Hunters, only a bold new strategy can save the rebels from total defeat. They need the missing half of Gabriel’s amulet—an ancient artifact with the power to render its bearer invincible in battle.

But the amulet’s guardian—the reclusive and awesomely powerful witch Ledger - has her own agenda. To win her trust, Nathan must travel to America and persuade her to give him the amulet. Combined with the Gifts he has inherited from Marcus, the amulet might just be enough to turn the tide for the Alliance and end the bloody civil war between Black and White witches once and for all…

M Y  T H O U G H T S

Half Lost takes place right after the events of Half Wild. After a betrayal and a major death, Nathan wants revenge! The Alliance has mixed views about Nathan and hope that his will for revenge is not clouding his vision of the true enemy. In order to defeat the Council, he must convince a powerful witch named Ledger to hand over the other half of the amulet.

Sally Green has done it again! With each book in the series, I am more invested with Nathan. There is more adventure and action in this installment. Justice will be served! So much stuff goes on in Half Lost! Green knows how to keep her readers guessing what is going to happen to the characters in the novel. Who should we trust? Who will live? Who will die? My brain is going to explode!

I also noticed that the format of the book along with the POV is strictly first person which is great! The previous books had first and second person POVs as well as strange formatting which a lot of readers complained about. However, I see it as a crucial and creative way to show growth of Nathan's character. The first two books are coming of age novels where Nathan is confused and is trying to figure out where he belongs and who he is. In Half Lost, Nathan knows what he wants. His voice in first person makes a statement! He doesn't need other people to know what he has been through.

"I want to be a Half Code. I want to be Black and White, the best of both. And now I want to see Gabriel, to tell him I'm not lost, that I do know who I am." - ARC

However, I wasn't fond of Nathan kissing and making love all the time within the book. With the nature of what is going on, I don't think he will be making love with someone that many times. Kissing makes sense once in awhile but I find it unrealistic that the kissing and making love happens so much within Half Lost.

I didn't see that ending coming!! I feel for Nathan. He has gone through so much and yet again he loses someone close to him. I hope the very best for Nathan to find happiness.

If you had a chance to read Half Bad and Half Wild, you MUST read Half Lost! If you haven't read Half Bad yet, go pick it up and start this fantastic series.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I removed my comment because people who haven't read the book might be spoiled but my points still stand. I might republish it after March 31st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CURIOUS. I mean, don't post it because I don't want anyone else spoiled, BUT I really want to know your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. I am very, very conflicted with this book. So much. I feel like this is a bit reminiscent of... another book that shall remain nameless because also spoilers. Gosh, I wish we could actually talk about this bwhahah.

    I DO agree that Nathan's character development was really great. And like you, I grew to love him more as the series went on. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half Lost is quite interesting but I was definitely invested in Nathan finding himself when I was reading the book. He has been torn of what it means to be a Half Code and I am glad that he is satisfied with who he is.

      Delete